Do you use a to-do-list in your business? Of course you do, we all
love them don't we? Worry not, I have no intention of explaining how
to prepare such a list, you already do that on a regular basis.

Most people prepare a list at the start of the day or week and then
steadily cross items off. If we cross a large number of items from our
list we mentally pat ourselves on the back before we go home at night.

Have you ever caught yourself adding items to your list just so that
you can cross them off? I must admit I have been guilty in the past.
A task comes up that is not on your 'to-do' list, you immediately
complete it then add the task to your list and cross it out. Maybe you
feel a little better at the end of the day but it is time to stop and take
stock of what you are doing.

If you really want to get some value out of a to-do-list try this
idea.

I have started to use two lists. One list has all the routine things
that have to be done every day and every week. These are the items
that clog up most lists in most companies. These are the things we
end up filling our days with if we are not careful, unfortunately these
tasks do not usually move the business forward.

My second list is a little more valuable. This list will probably be
shorter but it contains the things that I can do that will move my
business forward.

The routine things that have to be done everyday are not going to move
you forward, they will just keep you where you are. There are other tasks
that need to be done, are not being done but if they are done will move
your business, or career forward.

Each day I take one item from my second list - the list that the will move
my business forward - and I complete it before I turn my attention to
any routine tasks. This way I know that each and everyday I am completing at
least one task that will help my business to develop rather than stay
where it is.

I then allocate a fixed amount of time to get as many routine items as
possible completed. When that time is used up, go back to tasks that
will move the business forward.

If you follow this system you may well cross fewer items from your to-
do-list but at least they will be more important items.